Monday, January 24, 2011

Cake Decorating: Week 2

Week 2 was frosting and decorating a cake! I decided I was going to make a lemon cake with raspberry filling and give it to the youth group.

It was a lot of work, but a lot of fun. I say it was a lot of work because I actually baked two 3" deep cakes, and 3 individual layers of cake before I got a cake worthy of being decorated. The first cake had curves - I kid you not. It was a very voluptuous cake, so I decorated it and took it to the cabin. Since we had only learned how to decorating using stars, I flipped through my book and created something with no instructions. It didn't turn out too badly. And it was delicious. Here's a picture of my practice cake:


Keep in mind that this was me just messing around with different decorating tips. I actually had no idea what I was doing.


When I went to tackle the cake project again, the next cake fell apart when I took it out of the pan, even though it had adequate time to cool. So then I gave up on my new 3" deep pan and just used regular round cake pans to bake 3 layers. One of the layers didn't cook all the way through and collapsed in the center. So my final product was a two layer cake with lots of extra lemon cake. I did have instructions on how to do this one. Here's a few pictures of my final product:


Overhead view


Side view of those awesome borders that take forever


And a close up of the cupcake

Next week - cupcakes!

2 comments:

  1. "The first cake had curves - I kid you not. It was a very voluptuous cake" LOL this seriously made me laugh out loud! haha!

    Very cute! Isn't decorating fun?! We had soo much fun with our christmas cookies! The hard part is not eating it all!! (that was my downfall ... I love icing a liiiittle too much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you need help eating them?! Because I definitely volunteer. <3

    ReplyDelete