Monday, February 28, 2011

Kitchen Challenge Step 1: Pantry!

Today, I had some extra time to work on my pantry organization. I lost my voice, and most of my job is to answer the phones at work. I didn't have anything to do (other than make important phone calls which I was unable to do) at my second job, so I was sent home early. I decided to use my extra time to start on that pantry organization (after a nap didn't work out...haha)!

I first emptied out EVERYTHING, cleaned the shelves, and finished putting contact paper on the last 2 shelves (we ran out of paper shortly after we moved in).

In progress pictures:








After two trips to the dollar store (I ran out of containers and went back with a list later to get everything I needed to finish) and $44.93 spent, I was home and ready to tackle my pantry.

For my $44.93 (including tax) spent, I got 2 corner wire organizer shelves, 2 mini wire organizers for small stuff, 1 roll of nonskid drawer liner, 13 plastic baskets of various sizes, 19 single plastic containers with lids of various sizes, 3 two-packs of plastic containers with lids, and 1 four-pack of plastic containers with lids. That's a total of 38 organizing items (or 76 items if you count the lids)!!!!

Here's what I bought the first trip (only half my haul):

After I had everything, I threw out old stuff, pulled out some items to donate or give away, and then started transferring everything into their new plastic bins!

Here are the before & afters!!!!

Tall shelves - top (before)


Tall shelves - top (after!!!)


Tall shelves - bottom (before)


Tall shelves - bottom (after!!!)


Short shelves - left (before)


Short shelves - left (after!!!)


Short shelves - right (before)


Short shelves - overall (after!!!)


In case you're wondering, here's how I organized my shelves.

Tall shelves:
Top shelf - large baskets are baking items and the smaller one is cake mixes
Second shelf - Oils & Vinegars, Syrups & Honey, and other small baking items
Third shelf - baking staples & ingredients
Fourth shelf - breakfast items & cereals
Fifth shelf - canned goods, spice packets, sauces, nuts, & pastas
Sixth shelf - drink mixes (ovaltine, protein powder), box meals, rices

Short shelves - left:
Top shelf - Crackers & Rice Cakes, Crystal Light packets, Snacks & Granola Bars
Second shelf - Smoothie mixes, tea strainer & accessories, Loose leaf tea, Bagged tea
Bottom shelf - popcorn & popcorn maker, coffee items

Short shelves - right:
Top shelf - lightbulbs, lunchbox
Bottom shelf - disposable cups, straws, lunchbox, trash bags, bulk baking soda, bulk vinegar

This is step 1 for my overall kitchen organization challenge this week! I was originally planning on spreading this step across two days, but I was able to accomplish it in one! To see my plan for the rest of the week, click here. To join this challenge at A bowl full of lemons, click here!!!

I'm linking up to:

Organize and Decorate Everything

UndertheTableandDreaming
Anything Related



Transformation Thursday



18 comments:

  1. VERY NICE! I am about to tackle my pantry today for the 5th time in 3 weeks... But your pantry is an inspiration. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, I love the color of that blue you used

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good! I wish my pantry would stay pretty... Love your turquoise baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look great! Seems as thought you've been hit with a little spring fever cleaning bug! Stopping by from the Weekend Wrap up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great! I know I need to do mine, but... OK. Fine. I'll do mine.
    Stopping by from TT&J

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did an awesome job on organizing your pantry. Thanks for linking to We're Organized Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great. I love organizing. I'm your newest follower. I would love it if you linked your project up to my link party on Monday.
    More The Merrier Monday.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't you just love opening the doors and seeing all your stuff organized? I would like to invite you to share your idea by linking to my blog bash K.I.S.S. Happy to be a new follower too :)

    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Jennifer, you worked hard! And it payed off! Your pantry looks awesome! I just love to be organized, though I'm not very good at it...I take that back...I'm excellent at it, my FAMILY is not! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I can't wait till I get to redo my Pantery, Thanks for the insperation! Found you on Eisy Morgan.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW WOW WOW! Go girl! I want to get in my car and head to my local dollar store asap! You have inspired me! You really did an outstanding job!

    Thanks for sharing! I bet you look in your new cabinets often just to smile! I know I would!

    xoxo!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks fantastic! I am still plotting out my pantry remodel/reorg!!! :D Thanks for sharing. I love the use of your baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's gotta be the most organized pantry I've ever seen! Great job. I love the title of your blog too. That's how I feel everyday, I'm still aspiring to be one of those good wives who actually keeps the house clean :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice! Great job!! I love the bright blue color of the bins. Very cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks Good! I SOOOOO need to do that! Thanks for the ideas!
    www.juiceboxdreams.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. awesome Job! thanks for linking up!
    DaNita

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love a clean and organized pantry! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing your great project by linking up to my blog bash K.I.S.S. @ The Tattered Tag. Please remember tomorrow is another fun blog bash, so drop by and link up more of your creativity! :)

    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete