This weekend, I tackled a project that has been sitting around for a while. I upholstered my piano bench! I had all of the materials that I needed, I just never got around to finishing it. Honestly, I don't know why I waited so long to do this. I guess it seemed like it would be a more difficult and daunting task. In reality, it was the easiest project and only took me about 45 minutes to finish.
Here's my piano bench with no upholstery. See the price sticker was still on it? I knew it was going to get covered up, so I didn't bother with trying to wrestle it off.
My husband removed the seat from the bench, and I laid out my foam on top of it on the floor. I then cut the foam down to size. I bought 2" thick foam - the cheapest stuff I could find. I wanted it to be thick and cushy, but it didn't need to be the expensive stuff because I knew it would be covered up.
Then I flipped the foam and seat upside down and took some organic cotton quilter's batting to cover it up. This stuff was So. Soft.
Seriously. I could rub it on my face all day. Anyway, then I used my mom's staple gun to staple one side to the underside of the seat.
I kept stapling on all sides, being careful to avoid the parts where the hinges would need to be screwed back on. It is important to keep the fabric taught during this process. If you don't, you'll end up with lumps and bumps. Then I trimmed off the extra. Here's what it looked like after this step.
Then I repeated the process with the fabric, pulling it taught during the whole process. My husband reattached the seat for me, and here's the finished product!
I just LOVE how it turned out! And I love love love the fabric!
Here's the finished product next to the piano:
This is seriously such an easy project. I'd love to see what you've been upholstering lately! Send me a link in a comment!
Thanks for reading!
I'm linking up with: