Friday, August 12, 2011

Couponing trip: biggest success so far!

I just came back from my most successful couponing trip so far! I went to Target again this time. My goal was to find some free Ball Fruit Pectin, but neither my Walmart nor Target had the 99 cent size stocked. So I decided to scan the prices on a few items and maybe snag a couple of clearance items if I had a good coupon for them. We don't have very much extra money at the moment, so I didn't buy a lot since this was a spontaneous trip without any planning in advance.

Here's what I ended up coming home with:

1 small bag Whiskas cat food, $3.99 on sale
$1/1 coupon from Sunday paper insert
Total after coupon: $2.99

1.5 liter bottle Dr. Pepper, $0.99+CRV on sale

GE 75 watt lightbulbs, 4-pk, $2.44 on sale (originally $2.79)
$1.50/1 printable coupon
Total after coupon: $0.94

2 Five Star notebooks, $1 each on sale (originally $3.69 each)
$1/2 coupon from Sunday paper insert
Total after coupon: $0.50 each

2 8-ct packs Bic mechanical pencils, $0.90 each on sale (originally $1.99 each)
$1/2 coupon from Sunday paper insert
Total after coupon: $0.40 each

And the two best deals:


L'oreal Paris lip gloss, $1.48 on clearance (originally $5.99)
$1/1 coupon from Sunday paper insert
Total after coupon: $0.48


Maybelline eye liner, $1.38 on clearance (originally $5.54)
$1/1 coupon from Sunday paper insert
Total after coupon: $0.38

So, if you add up everything before sales and coupons, my total was $29.67. After sale pricing, coupons, using my own reusable grocery bags (redeemable for $0.05 per bag used), and my Target Red Card (which gets me 5% off every purchase), my grand total was..........
$8.04!!!!!

That's a total savings of 73%! Definitely my most successful trip so far.

I think the key to big savings might be to shop in smaller amounts, rather than entirely restocking the pantry once or twice a month. Just thinking out loud here, though. I need to do more couponing to see if that's really true. Do you have any experience with couponing? I'd love to hear any advice!

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment